Refund Policy

Our Refund Policy In Detail.

We take every step to ensure the best experience to our clients still if the document doesn’t come up to your expectations and it doesn’t get you the goal that you ordered it with then you are not losing your money at all. But since we strive to serve you with satisfactory services at all costs we would suggest every customer to let us have one chance to revise, change or amend their paper before requesting for the refund. But once you request for it we will be bound to validate your request and generate a refund if the request is valid. We will be liable to refund you when;

1. If we miss the deadline because of a problem at our end we will refund your money.
2. If our written paper got you a failed grade then we are bound to refund your money.
3. If your provided instructions were not met or incorporated in the paper by the writer.
4. If in spite of several revision and amendment attempts the writer fails to satisfy you then we will refund your money.
5. If the writer, staff customer support fails to entertain you at optimum and you are annoyed by anything of it.

In all cases our quality assurance department will decide upon every case and its verdict will be valued as the final decision irrespective of anything. The refund requests that are made within the time of 7 days after the order’s delivery will be catered.Detailed discussions and analysis will lead the quality assurance department to make any decision.
*In terms of service charges and other fee we shall deduct 10% of the total amount and refund the rest of 90%.